Please leave your comments by clicking on the 'Comments' link below the post.

Thanks! Keep Reading!

Monday 24 January 2011

‘Roses are red, Violets are blue, I wish I could…’

This was written way back in 2000, my mind boggles at the fact that it has been more than 10 years. If I remember correctly, I had written this when I was in the 11th standard. A couple of years later, I had given this poem for the college magazine. I didn't really expect it to actually make it to the college magazine and yea, it did but this poem was listed under the section called 'Black Comedy' !! I got no proper explanation for this and very much a cruel joke!


‘Roses are red,

Violets are blue,
I wish I could…’


Every day as I walk past the Church,
And step into the lonesome graveyard,
I see your face in the polished gravestone,
A pang of sadness engulfs me.

I place the red roses,
And take away the old ones.
Then I sit next to you,
And talk to you,
Of yesterday’s ventures,
And of ones to come.

Nostalgia is just not the word,
To describe my feelings,
When I sit with you.
To think that the times we had are,
The only memories I have, to cherish all my life.

An hour with you, sadly, is all that I can spare.
But those wild violets,
Blooming near by,
Will keep you company, day and night.

With a heavy heart, I take leave of you,
Then turn back and whisper to you,
“Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
I wish I could,
Forever, be with you.”

1 comment:

Arindam Mitra said...

Really...itsneither "black" nor "comedy"...its just another drop of tear in the current of lost memories, if that suites...