Please leave your comments by clicking on the 'Comments' link below the post.

Thanks! Keep Reading!

Monday 5 October 2015

So what if I am reading a book meant for children?


I read all kinds of books; more fiction than non-fiction and most importantly irrespective of the age group it is intended for. There are books classified as children's literature which is a genre I like to read once in a while. The only thing I do not like while reading a children's book is the funny look I get from people that probably state - "Aren't you old to read this book?" or similar expressions of subtle mockery which may be trying to convey that I haven't reached anywhere in the so-called intellectual or super literary book-reading club that people of my age tend to flaunt.

My reaction to this is yet another expression(s) - Sigh! Hmmph!

I recently did a search on the Internet about adults reading children's literature and oh my ...the bashing lashed out in support and against was overwhelming. A wee bit relieved that there are a lot of people like me who like to read or re-read (for those who are relatively well-read right from childhood) books classified as children's literature and young adult literature.

I don't re-read books (at least...not yet!) because there are sooooo many books on my to-read list. Hats off to those who really manage to re-read their favourite ones! I believe I haven't been able to enjoy so many books in my teens simply because I was only exposed to a very small set of authors like Ruskin Bond, Enid Blyton, Carolyn Keene, John Grisham etc. There are so many classics (many meant for children) that I haven't read, so once in a while, I like to pick up these and read. And I am really enjoying it. The latest one I read is Anne of Green Gables and it was a delightful read. 

Reading classics can sometimes prove to be a reminder of certain human emotions that seem to be rare in today's selfish world. Reading for me is re-living a childhood memory of enjoying a book while munching on a packet of chips and when the book happens to be a children's book, the experience becomes dreamy and complete.

C.S. Lewis truly made my day when I came across one of his quotes -

“A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest.”

2 comments:

Peter Rajan Amalrajan said...

Nice one! :) 'Reading is re-living a childhood memory' - so very true!

Arindam Mitra said...

Agreed :-)