Please leave your comments by clicking on the 'Comments' link below the post.

Thanks! Keep Reading!

Monday 2 June 2008

Distant Voices

The following poem is an exploration of the possible mindset of a mother:

(Dated: 14/11/2005)

Distant Voices

Walking into my room of memories,

Table and chair so empty,
Faint voices I hear,
Reverberating in a distance,
Sounds of laughter and innocent play are what I hear.

Framed pictures of them,
Flashes me back to the past,
Of giggles of children,
That seemed like forever.

When they grew up, I never knew.
Their minds no more of hugs and fun,
But of distant lands,
Their eyes shining with visions,
Of prosperity and progress.

When can I hold their hands again?
Like I used to when I taught them to walk.
When will I get to hear them say goodnight,
And give that good night kiss.

How long will I have to wait?
To hold them in my arms
Am I living in their thoughts?
Or just part of a picture frame?

Sleepless nights I have,
When I think of them.
Are they safe?
Do they know what is right and wrong?
Wish they could call me and say,
“Mom…I am fine. I love you!”

I know,
I still live, in some corner of their minds.
That’s enough for me.
I can hear distant voices,
I know one day,
I will wake up to see their beautiful faces,
Staring at my weary face.


No comments: